Dec 19, 2014
Dec 14, 2014
Dec 6, 2014
Dec 1, 2014
This was the year that you shot up in height. That you gained fluency in reading. That you delved deeply into learning all you could about the world around you. You were fascinated by bugs, fell in love with the goalie position in soccer, went camping with Daddy and sang lots of annoying boy songs. This was the year you were a Bear Scout and a Webelow Scout and earned your whittling chip. The year you began to soar in math. The year you stepped into your own brand of humor and joke telling. The year you learned to dance with style. You built bottle rockets, bug houses, and snail gymnasiums. You learned to swim and found the courage to jump off the diving board into the deep end. You grew in love and compassion and learned so much about friendships. There were bumps and snags and car wrecks in your year, but you rose above all of them to find your way. You are an amazing guy, Daniel, with a big heart and a head full of brains. Have a happy, happy year as you make your way to Ten!
Nov 20, 2014
Instead of listing my thankfulness every day, this year I'm doing them in chunks. I talked about my first ten already so here are the next ten...
I really should have mentioned this one last time, because it fit better, but I got distracted by a kid or two and forgot what I was going to say, so I'll just start with it.
11. The adults who influence my kids. Uncles, aunts, grandparents, cousins, Sunday School teachers, co-op teachers, Scout leaders, art and music and Bright Lights teachers, coaches, folks at church, and parents of their friends. Thank you all so much for the love and care you show, the wisdom that you model and the knowledge you impart. None of it goes unnoticed.
12. Laughter. I was raised in a family with a strong sense of humor. The ability to laugh at myself and my circumstances has been invaluable in the rough patches of life.
13. Those rough patches. It's easier to be grateful for them after they are over. But looking back at so many of the hard times I can see how much they changed me, helped me grow, and strengthened me for the next rough patch!
14. Books. What would I do without something to read? I do not remember not knowing how to read anything I picked up and I have always devoured books.
15. That my husband and kids love books. My older two kids are voracious bookworms and my younger two, while still struggling with reading themselves both absolutely love being read to.
16. Chocolate. It would be a sad world without a little chocolate in it. And it's a sign of my great self-restraint that I waited this long to bring it up!
17. Beauty. I am not artistic nor creative, but I love looking at beautiful things: sunsets, babies, the blue Texas sky, flowers, oh, so many things that speak of a creative God who lovingly shares His glorious imagination with us.
18. Creature comforts. Too often I take things like hot water, big comfy house, heat, safety, electricity, a soft bed, clean water, and such completely for granted. They are a gift, though. A completely undeserved gift.
19. Peace. In the midst of so many storms in my life, when I turned to God, He offered me peace. Hard to describe or explain, but a priceless treasure nonetheless.
20. Health. For me, for my family. Despite many a rough start, we have four perfectly healthy kids. Because of those rough starts, I don't take that for granted. We are so blessed with sturdy bodies and quick minds!
Nov 18, 2014
- Clued In Kids' treasure hunts
- Math Wrap Ups from Learning Wrap Ups
- Apologia: What On Earth Can I Do?
- iWitness books from Apologia
- Moving Beyond the Page
- Curiosity Quest
Fix It! Grammar It's not in their top ten, but this is a wonderful curriculum! I love IEW and I have loved all the products of theirs I've used! Fix It! has been the best grammar we have ever used and, believe me, we have used a lot. The built-in review of learned concepts is perfect for the way my kids learn and it only takes us a few minutes each day. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that Fix It! is not only my top choice for this year, but it is in the top three of all time.