Mar 3, 2008

My Bright Idea

The kids love our "morning school" or "circle time", but it had gotten to be difficult and stressful for me. We don't have enough room in our apartment for a schoolroom of any sort, so I had put all of our songs and charts in a binder. That worked well with only two kids, but now that there are four and sometimes five of them wanting to see, the binder was more of a fight starter than anything. But, then, I was reading this post and had great idea! I bought a display board (less than $4 at Walmart) and taped, glued and brad-ed all of our Morning School stuff on it. It is big enough that everyone can sit on the floor and still see. And when we are done, I fold it up and stick it behind our school cabinet, completely out of sight. Here are the pictures I took of it.


I wrote out all four verses for the month so I didn't have to keep changing them out. This also helps with review. I do not "require" them to memorize the verses, but we go over them and talk about them every day and they usually wind up learning them anyway. :) The verses are in a glued-on sheet protector so that I can underline, mark through, or whatever to help us as we learn them. We sing the months to the tune of "10 Little Indians", and the days of the week to the tune of "Frere Jacques". My personal favorite part of our morning school is when we say the Pledge of Allegiance. It is too adorable to see my little 2 year old with his hand over his heart, twisting his tongue around those multi-syllable words!
The dates are their birthdays and the pink card has our address and phone number on it for daily review. I put the calendar on with a brad so that I could change it every month and the song sheets are also brad-ed on. Our patriotic songs are underneath the monthly songs. And the envelope is for our calender pieces and my "pointer" (a Popsicle stick)

1 comment:

Carisa said...

What a great idea, I never thought to use the board for morning activities! I just might have to make myself another board!!!
:) Carisa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails