Apr 2, 2008

I am filled with gratitude when my little one year old daughter walks in the room, catches sight of me and runs to me with her arms stretched wide and a huge grin on her face. I love that she wants to give me a hug, that she is confident of her welcome in my arms, that the mere sight of me fills her with delight. But there is more to it than that. She was born 7 weeks early. She was born after a week spent in the hospital trying to convince her to stay put. She was born after a day filled with misery and terror not knowing what would happen to her nor to me. A day full of prayers and struggling to trust the Lord with our lives.
She spent five and a half weeks in the NICU. Five and a half weeks of having to "visit" my own baby. Of not being able to hold her without scrubbing my hands with nasty soap and donning an ugly yellow gown. Of having to leave my other kids in order to spend time with her. Of having to leave her behind every time we went to visit. Of dealing with medical jargon, busy doctors, and nurses who simply could not relate to our emotions. Of not knowing what we would find when we walked in every day. (one of the worst days of my life was when I came in to find an IV in her HEAD!) Of tubes, wires, and tape hanging off of her face and out of her body. Of beeping monitors that ruled our lives. Of praying for her to eat, grow, stay healthy, and just come home. Five and half weeks of reminding myself that God was in control. That God loved her more than we did. That we had been through this before and than in a year, she would be home, healthy and running around causing trouble.
So when she runs to me and I remember that fifteen months ago I was longing for this very thing, my heart overflows with gratitude and I thank God for this very special person that He has given me.
For more Thankful Thursdays go here.

9 comments:

Denise said...

Such a precious post, God bless you, and your daughter.

Amy said...

wow God is awesome! Thank you to Him for your little blessing :-)

Shari said...

Oh I can't even imagine how hard all of that must have been for you and your family. She is a miracle and a blessing.

Cheryl said...

You have a wonderful thankful post. I can feel your feelings through your post. Thank God for your babies!! Thank you for sharing your sweet heart with us! Happy TT - God Bless~

IRENE said...

Dear friend,
I can relate to that feeling of joy when a little one runs to you and looks at you with those eyes full of trust. I think it is one of the most beautiful feelings God has blessed moms with.
I can also relate with your feelings about your baby being sick at the time. Our second daughter was offered to us as a gift, and I always, always think of those awful months, (the soap, the gown, the head...), every time I see her, 11 years later. She is a blessing from God as all our, mine and yours, children are.
May God's name be always blessed.

izivlesema said...

What a great post. I was there with a grandchild and know how the parents had to deal with that. God has blessed you so and the reminder is there every time you look at her.

Laurel Wreath said...

OH what a sweet post. I had a baby that was in the NIC unit for a month, so I know a little about what you speak. I praise God he is healthy and 14 today =) It is amazing, isn't it?

southmsmomof4 said...

You are blessed indeed. It is amazing to read of the awesomeness of our Lord and how He shows Himself so real in others lives. Beautiful post. Thank you so much for sharing.
Stacy

Blessedw4mom said...

Wow! Great things to be thankful for ... Hugs from our miracle babies! Praise The Lord!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails