May 11, 2008



As the youngest in a family of seven and the only girl, I had a special relationship with my mother. She was my confidant, and my mentor. I wanted to be just like her when I grew up. I remember many a time that she went without in order to make sure that us kids were taken care of. One of her favorite sayings was: "It looks better on you than it does on me." as she slipped food from her plate to ours. And I remember many and many a time running through the living room to find her reading her Bible. She sang hymns and Scripture songs while she worked. She taught us to love the Lord by example.
My desire as a mommy, is to be as loving, as patient, and as intent on following God as she was. How I wish she could have seen my kids! Watched them grow up and helped teach them about the Saviour. She and Kaytie would have bonded over "girly" stuff. She would have instinctively have understood Nate and given him huge doses of the unconditional love that he craves. She would have laughed at Daniel's antics and greatly appreciated his goof-off attitude. She would have cuddled and snuggled little Abbie and delighted to cook for her and "fatten her up". My job, as they grow, is to guide them all into a relationship with Jesus so that they will, someday, meet her in Heaven.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails