Nov 4, 2008

Geography

So Geography. The kids have shown an interest in it for awhile now, but apparently, they are in the minority, because there isn't much out there on teaching kids this young about their world. The best I could find was Community Helpers and All About Me, both of which topics we exhausted long ago. So you can imagine my delight when I discovered that Montessori teachers feel the same way about Geography that my children do!

First, we started singing these songs

Continents Song:

(sung to Frere Jacques)
North America, South America,
Europe, Asia, Africa; Europe, Asia, Africa,
Australia, Australia,
Antarctica, Antarctica.


(sung to He Has The Whole World In His Hands)

I live on the planet, the planet Earth, (repeat twice), I live on the planet Earth.

I live on the continent of North America, (repeat twice), I live in North America.

I live in the country of the United States, (repeat twice), I live in the United States.

I live in the state of Texas, (repeat twice), I live in Texas

I live in the town of _____________, (repeat twice), I live in ____________.


Which I found here.

And this song


(Tune: My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean)
Oh, I can name all of the oceans.

Oh, I can name all of the seas.

Oh, I can name all of the oceans.

Now why not sing them with me?

Atlantic, Pacific, Arctic, and Indian, too.

Atlantic, Pacific, Arctic, and Indian, too.

Which I found here



I printed off this map, but I don't remember where I found it. It was some time ago, and, unlike most of the stuff I print off, the site isn't on the sheet.

First, we talked about the different continents, and I attached a personal meaning to each continent for them: our cousin was born in Asia, penguins live in Antarctica, the Wonderpets live in Europe, we have friends that moved here from Africa... etc. Then I had them trace the continents using a sheet protector and a dry erase marker.




Kaytie took it seriously and did a good job, Nate's work was a little more sloppy.


I printed off another copy and cut it apart. They had to choose a piece, name it, and then put it in the correct spot on the control map.
Next, I will make them do this without the labels.


I found these cards here and we will discuss them, then match them to the continents.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails