Jan 30, 2009

Snowmen, snowflakes, and frozen fish

Some of our favorite cousins came over to join us for school today. We had fun mostly, of course. Ain't kindergarten great? We talked about snow/snowmen/ice and all things wintry. I forgot to charge my camera batteries beforehand, so I didn't get all the pictures I wanted, but I'll share a few with you.
We started by reading this book.
Then we played this game. I gave each kid a snowman (really just three circles on white paper) and some crayons and a die. They took turns rolling and whatever number they rolled, they determined what they could draw on their snowman.


Bailey won. Before all six kids finished, however, a few got restless, so we had to fake a few rolls to end the game.




We cut some snowflakes, which I did not get any pictures of. But it was pretty easy. We just did the old trick of folding paper and cutting out circles and triangles, then unfolding the paper!
Then they freed some frozen fish and (oddly enough) dolphins from ice cubes. I froze plastic dolphins and fish in an ice cube tray. The dolphins were on key chains, but I just twisted off the chain. The kids had a great time pounding away with table knives to free their fish! A few of them needed a bit of help, but mostly, they were able to do it on their own.



And finally, they had a marshmallow snack. I gave them marshmallows and toothpicks to make snowmen, then they ate them.
A few, of course, just ate them. :)

And she is not even showing any remorse!

1 comment:

Julie said...

What fun! You come up with the neatest ideas for your school. :) Love that last pic, she is such a cutie. You know, when I first read your post I thought "What in the world is she going to do with fish sticks?" When you mentioned frozen fish that's the first thing my mind went to lol! Think I need a bit more caffeine. Hope you have a super weekend! Julie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails