Feb 21, 2009

Geo board


In our math tub, we have a geo board. I have NO IDEA exactly what these are for, or what they are supposed to teach. I tried my good friend Google, but all I found were lesson plans for high school, and I honestly don't think we are ready for that yet. So the kids play with the bands and the board. Sometimes they make recognizable shapes on purpose. Sometimes they make pictures. Sometimes they just string bands for awhile and then take them off again.
So if anyone can give me some sort of direction about geo boards, or even a sense of rhyme or reason as to why we have one and what we can do with it, I would greatly appreciate it!

3 comments:

scraps_n_stuff said...

The last center I taught at had these:
http://www.learningresources.com/product/teachers/shop+by+category/manipulatives/math/geoboards/double-sided+rainbow+geoboards.do

I had cards that showed children what shape to make. (like pattern block cards)

I found this to make your own cards:
http://www.center.edu/BLACKLINES/001-061/017-019.pdf

I also found this:http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Primary-Geoboard-Activities/dp/B0006PJ0VE

Two books that would have activities for younger children and if you look at the "customers also bought this" section there are some cards that are similar to what I used in my pre-K class.

Hope this helps.

Spesamor Academy said...

Thank you! That helps a lot. I've already printed those cards, and am working on patterns for them! :)

scraps_n_stuff said...

With out those cards I don't think many of my students would have ever touched the boards. They were great for fine motor but also space relationship. As long as the same number of dots on the card as the boards they should eventually be able to get them exactly right.

I'm glad it helped and I'll be looking forward to seeing how your kids do with them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails