Feb 1, 2009

New Choices for Totschool

Totschool this week was busy. I added some of our new stuff to our choice box. Nothing invigorates school more than new or different choices. Although, they have their favorites that they choose day after day. This week, the hot new items were:



The train number puzzle. Daniel loves puzzles and trains so this was a given for him, but Abbie loved it, too. She has a hard time with the ABC puzzle, so I think she was just delighted to have a puzzle she could do on her own.


I got this ABC puzzle in the dollar section at Target. It was very difficult and frustrating for both of them. I think it will be awhile before I put it out for them again.

A Strawberry Shortcake magnet set. Daniel paid no attention to this at all. :) But the girls were all over it.


A sink and float bottle. I just filled an empty water bottle and dropped in some of their toys. This is not high excitement, but it is the open-ended kind of work that Daniel enjoys.


I found this color game at Dollar Tree. Daniel had fun spinning the spinner and finding the correct color.


But Abbie ignored the spinner and matched the edge of each game piece to the colors on the board. Even when she has no idea what she is supposed to be doing, she fakes it well. :)


I matched the shaker with these hearts-on-a-stick. I have no idea what these hearts are supposed to be for, but I knew right away when I saw them that they would renew interest in this hand-eye-co-ordination work.


I love their intensity. And they loved their heart bouquet!



And the hit of the week was this play dough work. I pulled together a jar of play dough, a cutting-board that I found at Dollar Tree, a knife from Kaytie's dishes, a rolling pin from a set I found at Target for $1, and letter cookie cutters. I showed them how to roll out the dough...


cut out the letters and use the knife to push the dough out...



and they were delighted with the results! I only used four letters. The ones we are currently working on... A F R M. Daniel can I.D. them most of the time now, and knows what the F and M "say". Abbie is still pretty clueless. She's my first "true" blonde. :D

We spent a morning at our Science Museum. This is one of the kids' favorite places to go. They can touch and explore everything they see. Even though most of the information is over their heads, they absorb a lot and they are learning that science and discovery is fun.



Daniel feeding a paper bird with a puppet which is how they feed real baby birds in captivity.

Abbie looking at bird feathers through a microscope.

For Totschool posts, go to 1+1+1=1

10 comments:

Kysha said...

Looks like you had a great week and I'm heading to Dollar Tree for the color game. So neat! Thanks!

One More Equals Four said...

Fun!

Jolanthe @ No Ordinary Moments said...

love the heart sticks!

ScrappinAway said...

I think my little one would like the float bottle, will have to try it out! Looks like you all had a fun filled week!

MoziEsmé said...

I keep getting inspired by your choice box idea - I reallly need to just set this up!

Amy A.K.A. "The Mrs." said...

I'm a huge fan of the dollar tree for activities too. :) Looks like you had a fun week!

Carisa said...

Once again I am inspired by your simple, and creative ideas! I love your weekly posts!
:) Carisa

Amy @ Literacy Launchpad said...

Is that fancy tray magnetic? The one being used with the Strawberry Shortcake magnets? That's awesome!

Spesamor Academy said...

Amy,
Yes, it is! It's just a metal serving tray that I picked up at the Dollar Tree. I really love that store.

LadyJ said...

Looks like you had alot of fun. I love the little stick hearts a cute activity that could so easily become a valentine gift. :) Thanks

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails