Feb 2, 2009

Storage

Quite some time ago, I am embarrassed to admit, a reader asked about my Montessori storage since we don't have shelves. Every time I sit down at the computer, I remember that question and itch to answer it. However, I only have time to post when the kids are napping, and, since I store the stuff under Kaytie's bed, I can't take pictures of it when I am thinking of it.
But finally, this morning, I remembered to snag the camera when I was putting things away. (thank my wonderful niece, who took over lunch prep so that I actually had a spare brain cell for remembering such things)
So here it is: my storage plan. A large, flat plastic box that fits rather snugly under the only twin bed in the house. (see Queen Isabel's hoof? :) )



And here it is open, in all it's splendor. I carry the entire thing to the living room couch, and pull out the items for the day and arrange them in a row on the floor in front of the couch. (please don't notice the blue play dough which did not get cleaned off the tray before it was put away)


I did not, however remember to take a picture of that, so you are left to rely on your own imagination. I don't really like the row-on-the-floor arrangement, because there is no sense of space, so no one really knows what goes where when it comes to putting it back and this leads to confusion on the part of the kids and dismay on the part of the mom. But short of investing money and space (neither of which do I have any to spare at the moment) in trays and/or mats, I don't see how to make this any better.

5 comments:

MoziEsmé said...

Wow - I'm amazed that it's all so compact! Everytime I think about organizing and getting better at setting things up, I envision a whole room full of stuff :)

scraps_n_stuff said...

I have been reading your blog for a while now. The last nursery school I worked in had a very Montessori feel to our style of teaching. You have inspired me to continue teaching in this way that I enjoyed so much. I have space to spread out but not the same as I had in my classroom, you have helped me to adapt to our family and our space and what really works for us. I even spread our activities on the couch and trunk (end table) today. My daughter loved having access to everything herself. She even put everything back! I also thought of you tonight as I ran to the dollar store. I was going in search of a specific list I had made over the past week. When I got there I kept seeing items you have posted about! (by the way I saw the Easter eggs on sticks like the hearts you posted about the other day, if you are interested!)

I just wanted to say thank you for inspiring me.

Spesamor Academy said...

Moziesme, me too! lol
scraps n stuff, thank you! I have gotten so much inspiration and so many ideas from other mom's blogs and I am so happy to have been able to "pay it forward" even just a little bit.

Anonymous said...

Re: All About Spelling

I think it could be used as a phonics program. The very first step (you spend as long as you need on each step) is learning all the sounds of the letters...and I mean ALL the sounds (they learn all four sounds of /y/).

It is great in that there isn't anything consumable. Once you have it, you have it! :)

:) Ami

Angela said...

I bought some trays and mats at the $1 store last month.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails