Aug 24, 2009

Back to School... take one!

Today was the first day of school for the high-schoolers. I started them a week before the little kids for two reasons...
One, so that they would finish a week earlier than the littles will. I plan on working through Thanksgiving week, but their family tends to travel that week, so I wanted them "free" to do that.
Two, it was nice to be able to focus on them, answer their questions, and get them started in the direction I wanted them to go. Since they are older, and one of our goals of education is independent learning, I tend to give them the big picture and let them figure out the details as much as they can on their own. I have spent the last few days going over their textbooks and figuring out what their weekly assignments should be. I have a spreadsheet (of sorts) with their first 13 weeks of school all mapped out. Every Sunday, I transfer that week's assignments to a blog I set up for them. They are responsible for getting that work done by Friday so I can look over their work on the weekend. This is a system that we started last year but needed some tweaking for this year.
Today went very well. They will each be coming over three days a week, but not necessarily on the same days. Thursdays are our "teen free" days. I predict those will be our craziest days because the little kids LOVE their cousins!

2 comments:

One More Equals Four said...

hmmmmm! I didn't realize you were doing high schoolers, too. I may have to email you and get some advice! This year has been ROUGH so far with a middle schooler and the little ones and then a toddler running amuck!

good luck with the new year!

Jeanne said...

I didn't know you did this either -homeschooling someone else's kids - oh my!!

I have a renewed appreciation for you, my dear!!

Wow.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails