Nov 25, 2009

Fall 09 Exams: part two

Kaytie's History Questions: (with a disclaimer: if you are not well-versed in American History, don't read this as a way to learn more or even to brush up. Don't read Nate's, either.)

What is the most interesting thing you have learned in History?

The story about the Pilgrims.

Tell what you know about Columbus.

He sailed to America. He sailed to where he thought was where America was, but actually it was where the Indians were, and he called it the Indies. He was before the Pilgrims. When he was a boy, he wanted to be a sailor. On his trip, there was a storm and sometimes they ran out of food, so they probably had to borrow food from other ships.

Tell what you know about the Pilgrims.

They sailed to America so that they can have freedom. They created the first Thanksgiving to celebrate what God done for them on their trip. They came to America for freedom, and they sailed on the Mayflower. And in America, they met Squanto, Massasoit, and I don’t remember the others. Massasoit was an Indian chief. Squanto was the only one that was alive who cleared the land after the terrible plague. When their harvest was plentiful, they decided to have a harvest feast.

Who was William Bradford?

He was the ship’s captain’s appearance. (I asked, "Are you sure about that?" "Definitely." She said.)

Tell the story of John Smith and Pocahontas.

One time, he was caught by the Indians, well, that was the first time. But he escaped, and then he got caught the second time, when he probably fell in one of their traps. And they took John Smith to Powhatan. He asked questions. And they nearly killed him, but Pocahontas, Powhatan’s daughter went and gathered his head in her arms and Powhatan proclaimed him as his brother.

Kaytie's music, grammar, and writing questions:

Who wrote the music we have listened to all term?

John Bach

What is the definition of a noun?

The definition of a noun is: a noun is a person, place, thing or idea.

What is the definition of a pronoun?

The definition of a pronoun is: a pronoun is a word that you use in place of a noun.

What pronouns take the place of your name?

Me, my, mine, and (this one gave her trouble, I told her, “Answer this questions in a complete sentence: 'Who are you?' which was all she needed to remember it.) I

What is the definition of a verb?

A verb is a word that links two verbs together, does an action, and helps another verb.

Make up a sentence and tell me which word is the noun, and which is the verb, are there any pronouns in your sentence?

I love giraffes.

Giraffes is the noun. I is also a noun. Love is the verb. I is a pronoun.

Write the sentence you made up. Be sure to use correct capitalization and spelling.

She did well with this, but I had to sound out the words love and giraffe for her.

Write your name.

She did well. We need to work on the spelling of the last name, and writing words backwards.


Nate's History Questions:

What is the most interesting thing you have learned in History?

About the Pilgrims because they were the first people to find America. (I did ask, before I could stop myself, “What about Columbus?” His answer, "Columbus was the first to find Central America, there is a difference." And I figured he had a point, so I left him alone.)

Tell what you know about Columbus.

Columbus sailed… he was the first one to find Haiti. And he sailed across the sea to Haiti and he thought he was in Spain, but he wasn’t. He was trying to find gold and silver.

Tell what you know about the Pilgrims.

They found America. They were the first to have the Thanksgiving feast. They met some friendly Indians. They came here on the Mayflower, which was a ship. There was a few storms.

Who was William Bradford?

I don’t know.

Tell the story of John Smith and Pocahontas.

One day Powhatan started bashing his head against a rock and Pocahontas stopped him. (And yes, I did manage to keep from laughing out loud.)

Nate's music, grammar and writing questions:

Who wrote the music we have listened to all term?

I forgot. (He only asked every. single. day. for three months: "Who wrote that music?" And he still doesn't know.)

What is the definition of a noun?

A noun is a person, place, thing or idea.

What is the definition of a pronoun?

A pronoun is a word you put in front of a noun… in place of a noun. And I hope the next question is Verbs.

What pronouns take the place of your name?

Me, my, I, and mine.

What is the definition of a verb?

A verb is a word that does an action. And a verb that does an action is a action verb.

Make up a sentence and tell me which word is the noun, and which is the verb, are there any pronouns in your sentence?

I put my cup in the sink.

Cup is a thing. Sink. Put. My and I.

Write the sentence you made up. Be sure to use correct capitalization and spelling.

He did not ask for help, except to have me repeat his sentence for him a couple of times.

Write your name.



Conclusions: I need to figure out a way to make History stories still a little more and we really need to work on spelling! However, First Language Lessons really works! You can tell they know their grammar!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails