Dec 28, 2009

Plans

I am trying to finish my planning for next term's work for the big kids. I still have a ton to do and am running out of time. The first few weeks of vacation, we just all goofed off. Then I had to figure out where to start with planning. Some of the subjects, (the ones I have a curriculum for) I just have to piece out the work into daily chunks and make sure we will be to a certain spot at the end of the term. Others are a little more stressful. History and Math, to be specific.
I was asked how I decided when and what to teach in math, now that we have stepped away from worksheets, so I thought I would just do a quick post about it.
I spent a good deal of money buying a curriculum last summer for us to do this year. Even though it is no longer working for us, I will still be finding uses for it. Not only am I planning on pulling selections from the sheets every now and again to keep somebody busy or to give a little more practice or to plain give them experience in working those kinds of problems. (I don't have a reason they need this experience other than just a "feeling". I'll go with it for now.) Anyway, as I say, not only will I be doing that, but I also used them for my "scope and sequence". I went through and wrote out every concept that was taught in our curriculum this year. I then grouped "sub-topics" under appropriate Topics, for example, "word problems" and "carrying" are just shoved in with addition.
With this selection of Topics in hand, I sorted them into four main groups.
The first group is what we need to work on daily in some form: Addition; Subtraction; and Discussion of Rudimentary Multiplication. (this means we are talking about sorting into groups and if you have, for example, three boys and three girls sitting a table, you have 1. six kids 2. three plus three 3. two groups of three. 4. and if two kids are wearing pink, two kids are wearing blue and two kids are wearing red, then you have three groups of two. We have lots of these types of conversations. I will now be planning on having at least one daily.)
The second group is concepts that the kids have down pat. They can do them forward and backward and in their sleep no matter what form they see them in. These we will only do occasionally to keep them sharp. Mostly, these concepts have been moved to daily living skills.
The third group is concepts that the kids have been introduced to, understand, but don't quite have perfected yet. These, we will do several times a week, but not necessarily daily.
The fourth group is concepts that they haven't yet heard of. Roman Numerals are in this group. I plan on working them in one or two at a time, and slamming them heavily then shifting them to the third group's rotation when we start on a new concept.
Once this was done, I made four tables in my word processing program and gave each topic a column in it's appropriate table. I then went through all of my lists of games and projects that I have collected off the Internet or out of books and put them under the concept that they taught or practiced.
Now, all I have left to do is to plug this list into my daily plans so that we have enough math games to do every day. This is the part that just might not get done before school starts again in January. So far, I have six weeks' worth done, and I'm not going to panic if I don't have any more than that.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails