Feb 20, 2010

I Wanna be a Firefighter

The kids and I were given an opportunity to review two of The Old Schoolhouse products. They were free for the purpose of this review. We were given When I Grow Up I Want To Be a Firefighter which is a part of the Wanna Be series and Expedition Australia, which was part of the Download N Go series. I will review Expedition Australia in the next post.
I had never seen the inside of a "real" unit study before, only the ones that people give away for free. My husband always tells me, "You get what you pay for." And I have to admit that he was right. We were surprised and delighted with these downloads!
The Firefighter one said that it was directed toward kids ages 4-10, so I included all four kids. I would have anyway, probably, because Daniel has been obsessed with firetrucks since before he could talk. We own about 10 of various sizes and abilities, so it was time for him to learn more about the people that drive them.
The material was an instant download (very cool). It has 82 pages, but I did not print them all. My kids love the computer, so I just read the information part straight off the computer screen. The material consists of information about firemen, their history, equipment and what it takes to become one. There is even a section on firehouse dogs! :)
Then there are various worksheets: a quiz, word puzzles, vocabulary, coloring pages, handwriting, math and a science section. This was the part that I printed. There are also several suggestions for memory verses, a section of sign language, a lot of games and activities and some food ideas and room decorating ideas, if you wanted to have a themed party at the end of the study.
My kids thoroughly enjoyed learning about firefighters. However, I have to disagree about the age-range for the material. It was mostly over the heads of my 3 and 4 year olds, the material was too much information, too heavy of information and the only worksheet that they were able to do was the coloring pages. That said, they enjoyed the discussion after the reading and were delighted with the games. My 6 and 7 year old learned a lot about the history of firefighting and what the day-to-day life of a firefighter is like. We memorized a Bible verse, discussed fire safety, and worked through the worksheets together.
My kids favorite part of this study was the games (and there were a lot of them to play). They were active, fun and built upon what we had learned in the reading. I appreciated the selection of memory verses, and the various levels of handwriting sheets, from one word in print to several sentences in cursive and everything in between.
I definitely recommend this ebook. The price of $8.95 would be well worth what you receive. In fact, I am already looking at other books in this series for us to do!


This is a very bad picture of the kids playing their favorite of the games: Stop Drop and Roll.

1 comment:

One More Equals Four said...

Wow! Sounds fun! I need to check out the series, looks like something my kids would like and have fun with which we need more of!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails