Mar 7, 2010

Before I was a mother...


I've seen several lists like this around the blogosphere, but I can't remember where just now, so if it was you, and you want credit, yell at me in the comments and I'll update. ;)
(Of course, if it wasn't you, and you want credit anyway, and you yell at me, would I ever know the difference?)

Before I was a mother, I never worried about my own sanity.
Before I was a mother, I never used my spit to wipe someone else's face, my shirt to wipe someone else's nose, or my hands to deflect someone else's pee.
Before I was a mother, I never made anyone spit into my hands.
Before I was a mother, I never washed so many loads of laundry in one day that I lost count.
Before I was a mother, I never was too angry to speak, too tired to cry, or too scared to breathe.
Before I was a mother, I never realized how many things four kids can get into, lose, or destroy in the five minutes that I was picking up the other room.
Before I was a mother, it was pretty hard to push my buttons.
Before I was a mother, I never knew how easy it was to be charmed by a pair of blue eyes that were in deep, deep, trouble.
Before I was a mother, I never carried a spare pair of underwear in my purse, (someone else's underwear at that!).
Before I was a mother, I never wondered about the proper etiquette of changing a diaper in public.
Before I was a mother, I never knew that I would be thrilled to share my husband with another girl (or two). Daddy-daughter love is so very special!
Before I was a mother, I never knew the incredible power of convincing a three year old that her juice box wasn't red, but silver, because she had decided that she didn't want red.
Before I was a mother, I never laughed so hard nor prayed so fervently.
Before I was a mother, I never found teeny socks and pacis in my jeans pockets.
Before I was a mother, I never knew what it meant to put someone else's needs before my own.
Before I was a mother, I slept through the night, and was never awoken by a small child asking, "Mommy, can we have breffus?"
Before I was a mother, I never cared about nutritious foods or what was in a french fry.
Before I was a mother, I already loved children's books. :)
Before I was a mother, I never dug through the trash looking for a lost paci.
Before I was a mother, I never had to use those eyes in the back of my head.
Before I was a mother, I never knew that there IS a difference between two identical toys!
Before I was a mother, I never discussed how many wipes it took me to change a diaper.
Before I was a mother, I never felt near enough compassion for the harried woman dragging a screaming baby and a limp toddler through the store.
Before I was a mother, I never heard an infant convulse two toddlers with his jokes.
Before I was a mother, I could finish a sentence, eat an entire meal in one sitting, and close the door when I went to the bathroom.
Before I was a mother, I never understood the expression "silence is golden", nor the sheer terror I would feel when I heard that golden silence.
Before I was a mother, I was never so proud of teeny little accomplishments.
Before I was a mother, I never knew how important friendships with other moms could be.
Before I was a mother, I never realized how fast a little kid can move.
Before I was a mother, I never appreciated the value of a grandparent.
Before I was a mother, I never said silly things like: "Don't hit your brother with that sword! It's not a weapon!" and "Sit up! Sit down! Shut your mouth! And EAT!" and "Leave your brother alone! Don't touch him! Don't look at him! Don't even THINK about him!"
Before I was a mother, I never realized how sweet it was to see your kids loving on each other and taking care of each other.
Before I was a mother, I never put a rock in my pocket because it was vitally important to the small boy who found it.
Before I was a mother, I never knew that little kids actually did put beans up their noses for no apparent reason at all.
Before I was a mother, I never heard a worm called "cute", nor worried about finding snails in pockets, nor heard rumors about caterpillars being lost under the couch. (I'm sorry, little caterpillar! I would have saved you if I had known in time!)
Before I was a mother, I never knew that kids laughing in the other room is not always a good thing.
Before I was a mother, I never never NEVER fully appreciated my own mother.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails