Sep 22, 2010

TOS Review: Salem Ridge Press


My oldest daughter is an avid reader. The kind of kid that usually has two or three (or more) books "going" at one time. The kind of kid that re-reads every book she enjoys, yet greets each new book with delight. Therefor, she was delighted when we were sent three books from Salem Ridge Press to review. Two were ebooks and one was a physical book. She and I read and thoroughly enjoyed the books, which were Soldier Fritz, Mary Jane - Her Visit and The American Twins of the Revolution, but I am really here to talk more about the company overall, than to just give you a book review.
Salem Ridge Press was started by homeschooling graduate Daniel Mills who so enjoyed reading old, out of print books, that he desired to see them republished. He began Salem Ridge Press in November of 2005 with the goal of providing wholesome, moral, character-building books for children to read. The three books that we read definitely meet this goal. 
As a parent, I want the minds of my kids to be filled with thoughts that are true, noble, right, pure and lovely. So it is a relief to me when I find a book that I can hand to my bookworm without concern of what she will pick up from it. I pre-read these books, of course, but I did not have to warn her, debrief her, or feel compelled to explain anything to her about the content of them.
Reasonably priced from $12 to $15 ( a couple were around $25), these books are great additions to any homeschool library. Many of the books can also be purchased as ebooks. And they are organized on the website not just by title, but by time period, genre, author and age as well.
As for Kaytie's opinion, she said that she really enjoyed the stories, she recommends them to any kid who likes to read, and she liked that "words they thought I might not know" were defined at the bottom of the page.
To see what other crew members thought, click here.


I received this product for free for the purpose of this review. All opinions expressed are my own and my daughter's and are honest and true.

2 comments:

One More Equals Four said...

Hmmm, love finding books that you don't have to worry about. I have never heard of this site, will definitely have to check it out.

Jeanne said...

Hmmm, I've not heard of them either. Will check them out on my return from hols! Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails