Nov 17, 2010

I Don't Even Know What to Call It


Kaytie writes her numbers backwards. She always has. At first, I thought it was because she was young and she would outgrow it. Then, I thought that if I corrected her every single time she would start correcting herself. Now that she is nearly eight, I'm starting to get concerned.
I tried googling (well, swagbucking, actually, it pays better) dyslexia but came up with nothing but stuff for sale. I tried dysgraphia (although I don't really know what that means) and fared no better. She has no problems with letters. She reads fluently, well above her "grade level" and she is always reading. She writes her letters correctly. She does fairly well with math (we are almost finished with Math U See Beta), although she doesn't care for it. She does sometimes read double digit numbers backwards-- turning 12 into 21 for example, but single digit and triple digit numbers are fine.
If I stop her right before she writes the number, if she stops and thinks about it, if she copies a number she can see, or if she writes it with her eyes closed, she can/will write it correctly. Also, if I tell her, "Some of your numbers are backwards, you need to find them and fix them," she can do that. So she can tell by looking (if she does stop to look) that they are backwards.
A friend of mine suggested that we do a lot of hands-on, 3-D letter formation activities, so I devoted an entire workbox to this. I made some large number cards and every day I put something different in the box with the cards. She has made numbers with glass pebbles, nuts, beads, playdough, animal manipulatives, math cubes, Bendaroos, and string. I don't let her form the numbers on the card, she has to do it beside it. Today, I gave her felt, paper, and a large tack to pin-punch letters on paper. She really enjoyed that.
We have been doing this for a few weeks now, there was, initially, an improvement, but her numbers are still backward when she doesn't stop to think about it. So I am looking for suggestions or ideas on how to help her fix this.

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

Hmmm, no ideas, but I did want to tell you that Jemimah also occasionally reads 23 as thirty two as well. I think in that, at least, Kaytie is age appropriate.

Hope you get some good advice.

alicia b said...

my almost 8 year old daughter flips 3, 5, and 7 a lot of the time...I have wondered but she really understands it all-I guess it is just a technicality which what the number should go in their mind...

Anonymous said...

I know you said that you do not have her make the numbers on the card. However her do two sets, one on the card and one off the card. Since she already knows the numbers you could also try dot to dot activities.

kvsmm said...

I was very fortunate to have a child diagnosed with dyslexia in kindergarten, then the teachers started working with it. The way they explained it to me, the eye is like a camera. It takes an image and reverses it so you see it as it is. In dyslexia, the reversal doesn't happen. It's treatable, kids with the problem are often unusually spatial and smart, need glasses because of headaches ( ! ), and are amazing little people!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails