May 18, 2011

TOS Review: Mad Dog Math

For the past few weeks, the kids have been using Mad Dog Math to work on their addition and subtraction math facts.


Mad Dog Math is a computer program that drills math facts for all four operations. It's strength is that the facts are all broken down into bite-sized pieces. Each drill consists of 20 problems that are selected by answer, instead of by problem. For example, you start with 0-3 addition, and all of the answers will be 0, 1, 2, or 3. This made it much easier for my kids not only to master the level (since they weren't losing time hunting for the right key to push), but also to retain the facts more easily.
After the initial download, (which was a little tricky for me, since the instructions given did not exactly match my computer, but I was able to figure it out without asking my husband for help, so it wasn't that bad.) the login is easy. Just click the green paw print and type in your name. I loved that there was not a username and password to remember!
And after that, it was easy for the kids to use. Kaytie and Nate could run through several drills all on their own. The hardest thing was for them to remember they didn't have to hit enter after each answer. As you can see, it is pretty self-explanatory. I could even switch the language to Spanish and give them a little foreign language practice while they played! :)


The only negatives to this program was the initial download being a little dicey, and that it takes so long to get a sticker. My kids would have liked to have been rewarded for their hard work a little more frequently.

Kaytie: I liked it because it helps me with my math facts and it starts with easy ones and helps me work my way up. It mixes subtraction and addition so I learn both. And it is really fun! One thing I didn't like about it is that it times you. I need time to think about the answer but it mostly won't let me. The dog barks at the end and I liked that. 

Nate: I liked Mad Dog Math because I like to go fast doing math! And it times me so I have to go fast. I didn't like that in order to earn a club sticker you have to do ALL those math problems! I liked the dog because we have a dog. 

There are a lot of different ordering options, which you can check out here. We were given this. For other TOS Crew Member reviews go here.


We were given a free temporary download of this product for the purpose of this review. All opinions are mine and my kids.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails