Aug 5, 2013

5 Days of Housekeeping for Homeschool Families: Day One, The Plan

The Schoolhouse Review Crew is joining together to form a blog hop for your reading pleasure! 90 bloggers writing 450 posts in 5 days about the topic of their choice!
I will discussing how to juggle housework and homeschooling. You can find out what everyone else is talking about by clicking on the graphic at the bottom of the post.


Let me start by saying that I am not a great housekeeper by nature. I'm not a neat freak, I'm not a germaphobe, I'm not good at organizing my stuff, and I'm not particularly motivated to become any of these things. I also have the drawback of homeschooling, which means that, one: we live here and messes are constant; and two: even though I am a full time stay at home mom, I really have two jobs: housekeeper and teacher. Three, if you count riding herd on this unruly flock of penguins.
However, I have a husband who kinda likes to find clean socks in his drawer, and I have four kids who are better off living in a sanitary, uncluttered home.
And if I look at it from a big picture, long term perspective, housework falls under the heading of homeschooling, anyway. Giving the kids a clean, orderly place to live instills in them a desire to be clean and orderly when they move out on their own. It helps them learn without the distractions clutter. Involving them in the work is a perfect way to include a little home ec without having to buy a curriculum. It teaches them teamwork, the value of effort, and the joys of service to others. All this, and clean dishes too!


So, I have, with the help of my husband (who is awfully sweet about coming home to a gigantic fort in the living room and who is always willing to help out after "one of those" days or even just because), created/implemented a lot of tricks and tools to help me in the housework department. And I'm going to attempt, over the next five days, to share them with you.
Today, I'm just going to say that the biggest thing that has helped me is having a plan. A big picture plan, and a small, detailed, daily plan. Over the next four days, I'm going to be talking about these plans: how to create them and how to make them work for you.
Tomorrow, I'll share how set up my overall plan and how I divide it up into bite sized pieces.
Wednesday, I'll talk about how to get some help with your work load.
Thursday, I'll talk about feeding your family cheaply and easily.
Friday, I'll finish up with everyone's favorite housecleaning topic: laundry!


Summer Blog Hop

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails