Oct 22, 2013

Entrepreneurial Spirit

One afternoon last week, Kaytie sat down with a box of outgrown/mate-less socks, a marker, a bag of fiberfill, and a needle and yarn. After a pleasant space of time, she had a boxful of these:



Which she decided to call "cat toys" and sell around the neighborhood. The kids put their heads together and agreed on prices. Ten cents for the small ones, fifty cents for medium-sized, and large for a dollar. (They took all the pictures, too.)



Then they all went around the block selling them door to door. After a few minutes, they returned with fifty cents. A long, painful discussion ensued over how to divide fifty cents into four equal parts. Finally, Abbie came up with a brilliant solution. "Just give me a dollar."

They went out again to harass canvass the next block and I was pleasantly surprised that they sold $2 worth, but the best part was the story that Nate told when they returned home.
It was my turn to talk, he began, so I asked the lady if she had a cat.
She said, "I don't want any cats, little boy!"
So I asked her, "Do you want to buy a cat toy?"
 But she obviously wasn't listening, because she just said, "I don't want to buy any cats!!!"
I showed her the box and asked, "Do you want to buy some cat TOYS?"
She asked me, "Are you deaf, little boy? I don't want to buy any cats!!!"
I thought to myself, "No, but YOU must be."
It was at that point that I gave up and just walked away quietly. You can't sell anything to a woman like that.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails