May 10, 2014

7 Quick Takes

ONE
Today is The Dreaded Jungle Basset's birthday. She is four years old. She is so much a part of the fabric of our family that I pray often she is a long lived pup. I dread the kids' sadness when she passes on. Meanwhile, she was duly celebrated by the kids, because they loaded her up with lots of hugs and cuddling and special attention. Then they spent their own money on dog treats for her. She is one spoiled hound dog.


TWO
We started back to school this week. Have I mentioned that before? Lots of math, reading, spelling, reading, art, reading, science, reading, some review products, and "all the stuff on the computer". We will go until the three big kids finish their math. By my reckoning, that's about ten weeks. It's harsh listening to other homeschoolers talking about being done. I try to think about December and April. And the fact that we didn't have burnout in January or February. Or March or April. Which is worse, burnout or jealousy?

THREE
Some weeks, I have more to say than other weeks. This is not a chatty week...

FOUR
Oh, hey, since I can't think of anything else to say, I'll add a little plug here for the kids' blog: The Adventures of the Super Penguins. They have so much fun posting (except for Daniel, a man of few words and even fewer blog posts) jokes, stories, and pictures. Kaytie also has her own blog Creations By Kaytie where she puts craft ideas and projects. I'm planning on using these blogs next year to expand Kaytie and Nate's narration repertoire. Meanwhile they keep me amused.


FIVE
I'm pretty often amused that when I take the kids to the park, instead of playing on the equipment they spend their time looking at flowers, or playing in the dirt, or messing about on the shore of the "lake" or climbing trees. We recently discovered a new park that has pine trees growing close together that make "houses". They could spend hours playing in these houses, I think. They have a great time.

SIX
I lived in the same town my whole life. Then we moved here. I've lived here two whole years and I still have trouble finding my way around. Worse, when we think about going somewhere that we don't go often, I picture it in my head where it "should" be in the old town and think I know where I'm going. Except, of course, I don't. Or when I ask someone who has lived here awhile where something is and they use landmarks to guide me. Uh... that doesn't help, either because I don't know where any of those places are either! I'm wondering how long it will take me to figure out how to get where I'm going without having to plot my path on Googlemaps?


SEVEN
What do you do for lunches? The kids cook their own lunches these days, and they have a great time but I'm bored with finding myself something to eat. Especially since they often grab the good leftovers before I get a chance. See, you know I'm desperate for something to talk about when I start talking about food!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails