Jan 23, 2016

Literature

 photo IMG_8215_zpsgecfeqm3.jpg 

 With my oldest daughter sailing through 7th grade, I turned my thoughts toward high school, and one of the first things I started researching was a literature program. She loves to read, and she uses her free time to write non-stop, so I knew in advance that I wanted something specific.

I wanted something that would feed her delight, yet instruct her in all those things that confused me, (also an avid reader) in college (the analysis terms, the critiques, and those sorts of things), while stretching her reading taste and teaching her the correct way to write essays and research papers.

What I found, after much searching, was that pretty much every literature program out there assigned a certain set of books (some of which I felt were inappropriate, and others that she had already read and some that I felt were below her abilities) and based their instruction off those books. And, they were all expensive. I don't mind expensive so much, but I hate paying a lot of money for something I don't really want and will feel the need to tweak.

Then I discovered The Reader's Odyssey: An Individualized Literature Program for Homeschooling Middle and High School Students. This book is very different. It lets you, the parent/teacher and your child choose the books they want to read. It gives you forms to help them learn to analyse the literature.

We haven't yet used it, but I'm working my way through it and so far, I'm liking what I see. I'll keep you updated on how well it works for us.

Linked up with Junior High Junction

3 comments:

Homeschooling6 said...

I'm looking for a literature program for my Jr. High student. I'll have to take a peek at this one, thanks!

Megan Russell said...

I am interested to see how you like the Readers Odyssey. I am always on the lookout for new curriculum! Thanks for linking up.

Lori Hooten said...

This sounds intriguing! I will be looking for more info on this as you get more involved with it. I am also pretty leery about so many of the titles that are required in the lit programs as the children get older.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails