Apr 22, 2016

Planning for Next Year: 8th Grade Plans

I usually start thinking about the next school year in January. But this year, here it is nearly May, and I am only just starting to jot down plans. Mostly, this is because this year, everything worked so well that we will pretty much be just continuing to use what we are already using. There are a few new things and a few things I need to figure out, but mostly it will just be keeping on keeping on. Here is what I am thinking so far:

 photo IMG_0111_zpsdoq5zxdf.jpg

Kaytie, 8th grade:

Math: Math U See Pre Algebra
(yes, I'm scared!)

We split up our Language Arts into many different parts, using products that best fit our needs in each area:

Grammar: Fix It! Level 3 Frog Prince. We love, love. love Fix It! My only regret is not knowing about it and using it sooner.

Writing: We were given a set of the One Year Adventure Novel. So we will be doing it without all the online frills, but I think she is going to love it and get a lot of out anyway. She is so very excited to start this! She is a little irritated with me that I am making her wait until the fall. :)


 photo IMG_5318_zpsfljau6tb.jpg


Spelling: All About Spelling (She will finish up Level 6 and complete Level 7. I don't expect it will take her the entire year. When she is finished with Level 7 she is done with spelling instruction forever!)

Literature: This is a new subject for her. We dabbled some with it in 7th grade, but could never really find anything that worked for us. So we are going to create our own. She needs absolutely no encouragement to read. Sometimes, though, she does need a little nudging to get out of a rut and into new and exciting books. So she will have a reading list, just so I am confident that she reads everything I want her to. She will also learn some basic literary terms (she knows a lot of them, but I want to just fill in all her gaps), write about what she reads, and ask and answer a lot of questions about her reading.


 photo IMG_0635_zps2ykrxw99.jpg


Art: She and I haven't discussed this yet. Art is one of her favorite electives and she knows more about it than I do, so she definitely has a lot of say in what we use. I have my eye on a how to draw comic strip book  but we also have Artistic Pursuits at hand. She will probably use a combination of both while adding in a lot of free drawing from youtube tutorials and a class from a local teacher.

Piano: Hopefully, she will continue with lessons. If not, I am confident she will work on her own to learn and improve.

Bible: Still working our way through Bible Study Guide for All Ages. Kaytie and Nate are getting a little bored of it, but it is still the best I have found, so we will continue using it for now.


 photo IMG_4968_zpsikbdaibx.jpg

Science: She and Nate will (hopefully) finish up Apologia General Science over the summer. Then they will start Apologia Physical Science in the fall. I already own it, so we will just move seamlessly from one to the next whatever the time frame happens to be.

Spanish: She will continue working through Duolingo. I am hoping to get the kids into a conversational sort of class, but I don't know if that is a possibility around here. They are definitely to the point that they need to start speaking the language.

Latin: It will not be a favorite, but she will definitely be doing Visual Latin this year. She doesn't think she "needs" Latin. That may be true, but she is going to learn it anyway.

Logic: The Thinking Toolbox. We are all looking forward to this!

Typing: She doesn't think she needs this, either, but a little practice never hurt anybody, so she will be dabbling into Typing.com


 photo IMG_3561_zpsrw0sdxxr.jpg

Geography: We had fun and learned a lot about Europe this year doing our own Hoggard Geography. So we will tackle another continent this year using the same method.

History:
First, we will be reading and working our way through the Middle Ages in our own carefully crafted Hoggard History.

Also, we will be experiencing the Epic Glory of Texas History using The Story of Texas as a spine. I am really hoping to post our plans here because there is such a dearth of really good curriculum for Texas History. We are only going to do it once, all together, because I am expecting it to be a lot of work!

And she still needs to chose an elective (or two, if she wants) for high school credit.

As I post the other grades, I will link them up here:

Nate (7th grade)

Daniel (5th grade): coming soon!

Abbie (4th grade): coming soon!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails