Apr 11, 2017

Homeschool Review Crew: CompuScholar, Inc

I have a couple of boys that absolutely love technology. They don't even really care so much what they are doing, they just want to push buttons and make things happen. I, however, do care what they are doing. I am constantly on the lookout for technology that makes them producers and not consumers. So we were all three pleased when they got the opportunity to review Web Design from CompuScholar, Inc.

CompuScholar, Inc. Web Design


Web Design is an online program to teach kids how to design using HTML and CSS. The course is intended for middle school and high school kids. The curriculum consists of twenty-eight chapters. It is intended for your student to take an entire year to finish the course. 

The program consists of videos for the kids to watch, text for them to read, quizzes for them to take, and projects for them to complete. Each of these are sorted into Chapters and Lessons. It is easy for them to see and click on the button they need to do next. 
 
I am not a tech-savvy person, so I mostly just let the boys do their thing and I stood back and watched. They are thirteen and eleven and it was fairly easy for them to use on their own. They worked on it regularly. Not daily, but as often as I would let them. Nate went through this course back when it was Homeschool Programming and has done other similar programs before, so he was not only able to go through the lessons fairly easily, but was also able to help Daniel whenever he had questions.

They each had their own log in and the program kept track of their progress, grading their quizzes and doing all the calculations to produce an overall grade. I was able to keep an eye on their work and their grades with my own dashboard. I could see what videos they had watched, what text files they had read and what their quiz  and test grades were at a glance. I could also access the same lessons they had along with a Teacher's Guide and answers to the quizzes and tests. 

I was impressed with this course. I loved that the boys could do it on their own and I didn't have to know anything in order for them to succeed. I loved that the boys enjoyed it and that they learned so much. It was greatly improved from the former version and Nate learned a ton from it even though he had gone through it a few years ago. 

Here is what the boys say:

Nate: It teaches how to use html. It covers all of the little details so that you absolutely know how to do what you are supposed to do. The next lesson then helps you process the original one and then gives you more information. I think that anyone could learn from this program. It is insanely helpful. 

Daniel: It was fun because it taught me how to program. It also taught me how to save things onto different files. It also taught me that web pages are different on different browsers. It taught me that web pages look different on different computers. It was easy to use.

CompuScholar, Inc also offers Digital Savvy and Java Programming. The courses can be paid for either monthly or as a one year subscription. 
 
Digital Savvy, Web Design & Java Programming {CompuScholar,Inc Reviews}

Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails