Jul 19, 2017

8th Grade Reading List

2017-06-28_04-39-25


Nate's list is a little crazy. He will be doing Lightning Lit 7th grade, so he will read (or actually re-read) :

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
All Creatures Great and Small
The Story of My Life

However, that is not nearly enough books for his voracious appetite. My goal with his book list is to keep him thinking and moving forward. He loves "easy-for-him" books and will reread his favorites until he has them memorized. I did that too, as a child, so I'm not complaining at all! But sometimes he needs a shove to indulge in a different genre or maybe try something a little more challenging. That is the point of the book list for him. So I am adding these books:

Red Sails to Capri     Ann Weil
The Giver      Lois Lowry
The Yearling      Marjorie Rawlings
Little Britches     Ralph Moody
Cheaper By The Dozen   Frank Gilbreth and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey
Lassie Come Home   Eric Knight
Penrod    Booth Tarkington
Pinocchio      Carlo Collodi
Peter Pan    J.M. Barrie
The Scarlet Pimpernel     Baroness Orczy
A Tale of Two Cities     Charles Dickens
Freckles  Gene Stratton-Porter      
Johnny Tremain   Esther Forbes  
Miracles on Maple Hill    Virginia Sorensen
Hatchet  Gary Paulson
The Westing Game           Ellen Raskin
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIHM   Robert C O'Brien
The Borrowers    Mary Norton



It's difficult to put together a book list for Nate. I roam the Internet but all the books on all the lists are ones he has already read! He is a prolific reader and rarely refuses or dislikes a book. With the other kids, I prefer to make up my lists off our home library shelves, but that absolutely will not work for him because he's read them already. We actually own very few of these books, all of which I have hidden away for just such a need as this! :)


He helped me with this list, mostly just by saying, "I've read that book already, Mom," to all of my suggestions. When I finally gave up, I asked him if nineteen books was enough and he said, "Yeah, I guess. I'll read more than that, though."

And he is right. He will. But at least this will get him started.

And then, after making this list, I had to take one off because he had read it after I finished when I wasn't looking.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails